Sky summer evening

Sky summer evening

Wednesday 29 December 2010

GOBBLE-DI-GOOGLE

"You could say that all we're doing, really, is replicating someone else's thoughts. And aren't we soon to be replaced by machines? I don't think so. Here is the sublime first sentence of Orhan Pamuk's Istanbul: Memories of a City as rendered by Google Translate: "A place in the streets of Istanbul, similar to ours in a different house, with everything I like, twin, or even exactly the same, starting from childhood lived another Orhan a corner of my mind I believed for many years." - Maureen Freely, The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/28/maureen-freely-translation-orhan-pamuk?INTCMP=SRCH]

I've been fishing for Finnish flash-fiction and pieces of poetry. Found on the webosphere? All in finnish, un-englished; fresh. Food for thought: a calling? Perhaps in years I'll fill my tongue with the language. Google's garbled word-by-word begs my mercy right now, and I can but grant.

What happens when a writer is re-read and presented by a programme?

Risto Rasa - "Koira tulee illalla"
The dog comes in the evening
home.
When it rotates in place
and fall asleep,
begins at its heart the heat spread
rooms

No comments:

Post a Comment